Sunday, October 6, 2013

Dual Citizenship

Acquiring the citizenship of a country can happen through many process. By being born in that country, through your parents blood, by marriage, naturalization, or being adopted from another country as a minor. Because of these different process it is possible to have multiple citizenship. For example I could be acquire dual citizenship because I was born in the US and because my mom is Filipino, I could apply for Filipino citizenship and have dual citizenship. Also someone with French citizenship is also a citizen of the European Union, the same is also true with any other nations that are part of the European Union. 

Some nations do not allow multiple citizenship at all. Azerbaijan China, Czech Republic, Denmark, India, Indonesia, Japan, and Kazakhstan do not allow dual citizenship and if some one voluntary acquires another citizenship they automatically lose their citizenship. These nations require the person to choose citizenship and may only have one. For example in Japan a person may be born with dual citizenship, like Canadian and Japanese, but by the age of 22 they must choose one.

Dual Citizenship is handled differently in the US. If the person is born in the US and has parents of some other nationality they will gain both citizenship. The same also goes to US citizen marring someone of another nationality. Naturalized citizens in the US also can keep the citizenship they were born with. However if a US citizen could lose their citizenship by voluntarily applying for another one. 

Many nations around the world do offer dual citizenship, each with their own policies and requirements. UK citizens can apply for another citizenship and they will not loose their British citizenship. Germany and Austria only allow dual citizenship at birth or if someone does apply for another citizenship they must ask permission from Germany or Austria to keep their citizenship . And Pakistan will only allow dual citizenship with 16 other countries.

Dual citizenship would be cool to get. For me, I could be both American and Filipino. But I have only visited the Philippines once, and even though I have family there, I would identify myself American before Filipino. Maybe if I lived there I would reconsider, but at the moment it would not make much sense. 

More on Multiple Citizenship




No comments:

Post a Comment